Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A Moment's Peace

All things are legitimate [permissible—and we are free to do anything we please], but not all things are helpful (expedient, profitable, and wholesome). All things are legitimate, but not all things are constructive [to character] and edifying [to spiritual life]. 1 Corinthians 10:23 (AMP)

This past weekend our country suffered another terrible school shooting in Connecticut. Today when I was at work, I had a mom ask me if I was nervous taking my kids to school this week. I also saw on facebook another friend kept driving by her children's school on Monday because of her unsettled nerves. I don't have nerves of steel, I was definitely shaken by the news of the terrible tragedy but I CHOSE peace in His presence rather than allowing anxiety and fear to rule my life. 


Sunday night my heart became overwhelmed and I fell to my knees asking for his provision of comfort and peace to the families of the tragedy and laid hands on my own children while they were sleeping, praying for protection and their future. I felt comforted knowing they were covered with His anointing and Holy Spirit. I can't say that they are guaranteed a perfect future but I know who holds their future and in that I find peace. 


Phillipians 4:6-7 says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."


I answered that mom today, " I prayed over my children and leave the rest up to God, I am not afraid and know He is watching over them. Being fearful is not going to do anyone any good."I have been down the road of fear and anxiety and frankfully, I would rather not give Satan a foothold, ANYWHERE!


The above referenced scripture in 1 Corinthians, applies to something I have been practicing for the last 9 months now. Anything that is not "true, lovely, right, noble, pure, excellent, or praiseworthy" as is explained in Phillipians 4: 8-9, does not enter my home. That means biased and negative news coverage and media. That's right I turned off the news. There is no need to fill my mind with senseless media and graphic replays of violence.  I have chosen to be informed on a need to know basis and leave the rest up to God. It is a season of life I am in right now and I don't know if I will ever go back to watching all the news reports, and surfing every news websites. God has replaced all that with His peace and tranquility, that I can't quite describe. He can do it for you too. 


Perhaps you have been bombarded with too much media, negativity, social media. Perhaps its time to tune that stuff out and tune into God. Perhaps you need to get away from it all, turn it off and rest in Him. He speaks in the silence, He does not want to have to compete with anything else. 




1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful word! We all needed to hear that and let His peace roll over us. God truly has all the peace we need. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete