Monday, March 2, 2015

Through the Midst

...to him who divided the Red Sea asunder
                      His love endures forever.
and brought Israel through the midst of it,
                      His love endures forever.
but swept Pharaoh and his army into the Red Sea
                      His love endures forever.
Psalm 136:13-15



I have been slowly reading and devouring the book of Psalm since late last Summer. As I was reading through Psalm 136, these three verses caught my attention. Particularly the part that says, "and brought Israel through the midst of it". This verse is referencing the time God parted the Red Sea for the Israelites so they could pass through and seek safe haven from the Egyptians that were in a mad dash to catch up and destroy them. 

When the Israelites reached what they thought was a dead end, God made a way. I am sure that even after seeing the water stand up on it's end they were fearful walking through the churning waters. I can only imagine how loud the roar of the water might have been. Even being led by God himself, I am sure it took courage to take those steps through the waves that loomed over their heads. I know for a fact I would not have felt worthy of the favor God had given them that day. They were no better than the Egyptians that were chasing after them. Their lives were touched by sin and regret. I am sure they felt in awe of a God who displayed such a miracle before their very eyes.

The Israelites did one thing the Egyptians did not though, and that was put their trust in God. Sure they doubted him time and time again but God can use faith, even a little bit, and take it farther than they could have ever imagined. The same is still true today. He took them through the midst of it and He will take us through the midst of it too.

In Daniel, chapter six, Daniel had just learned of a new decree stating that no one was allowed to pray or worship anyone but the king. Instead of hiding out of fear or keeping his prayers silent, he walked into his room, opened his windows and it explains in verse 10, "...Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to God, just as he had done before."

Nothing changed for Daniel, even when he was in the midst of a problem. He knew his enemies would discover him there, he also knew his God would also meet him there and reward him for his faithfulness. If you do not know the rest of the story, I encourage you to read it for yourself. Let's just say he made a couple of furry friends later that day. 

No matter what you are in the midst of, your problem is not too big for God. The most amazing part is that Jesus meets us right there in the middle, right where we are. The Holy Spirit takes us by the hand, we need only grab on with our faith that God will carry us through. When you come out the other side you will see that there was not a moment you were alone. He was there...in the midst of it!

Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
you preserve my life;
you stretch out your hand against the anger
of my foes,
with your right hand you save me.
The Lord will fulfill his 
purpose for me.
Psalm 138:7-8

Song by Israel Houghton called "Moving Forward"

5 comments:

  1. Such a great reminder! That has been my absolute favorite part about reading the Bible through each year. You realize God is plenty big enough. And you sure see a need for Jesus. A good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this through the midst of it. Isn't it amazing how God will use the smallest phrases to speak to us so loudly! I've got a little one sick right now, so through the midst of it is right where we are...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it doesn't feel like He is there. That is why I like these verses. They give me comfort and hope. I am constantly praying for the Lord to increase my faith. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Reminders of where our hope needs to be during tough times and good times. Thank you. #FCBlogger

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been reading Psalms, too. It has some much passion and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete