Monday, April 27, 2015

The Social Media Trap

"Social media...if used correctly can be inspiring. 
But if you approach it in the wrong state of mind, 
it is one huge comparison game where you always come up the loser."
-The Fringe Hours by Jessica N. Turner


I am reading a book for fun right now. I am not blogging about it for review, nor is this a Family Christian supported post as I do sometimes. The quote above, though, could not be more appropriate for the subject I want to get into today.

You would not believe the amount of women around my age- late twenties and well up into their 30's and 40's have told me, "I had to turn off my Facebook account because I was on there too much or it was taking too much of my time." I have also heard numerous studies that have come out recently dealing with something called Facebook envy. Here I will let you hear it for yourself:

"Two German universities conducted a joint research which revealed 
that many Facebook users are left with feelings of envy, misery, 
and loneliness after virtually being witness to their friends' love lives, 
vacations, and work successes." 
-TODAY article by Rosa Golijan

Ladies! How did we let this happen?! I think with the growing trend of social media we have allowed ourselves the guilty pleasure of becoming addicted to stalking and envying other people's lives in lieu of discovering the full potential of our own! I have heard that social media will even trend higher than watching television. 

Why do we watch tv in the first place? For an escape from reality, to be entertained, to put our feet in someone else's shoes for a bit whether it be sci fi, historical or a documentary we are watching. Be careful doing that on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. The people you see are real people, living real lives and dealing with real situations. 

You might see someone who might have an incredible marriage and celebrate their anniversary posting their anniversary pics from somewhere tropical. But think about the hard work it took to get to that many years, maybe they suffered with infidelity or overcame major health crisis and came out the other side, rejoicing! 

Perhaps someone posted a pic of their brand new beautiful home and you feel that pang of jealousy because that feels far away for you and your family. Perhaps that family worked really hard to get out of debt and were very disciplined in their spending to get there. 

When I see someone's successes on social media I rejoice with them, when I see their tears and pleas for prayer, I pray with them. It's all about PERSPECTIVE! Don't try to measure yourself up with anyone else or wish you had what they did. You would probably not want to go through what they did to get there. 

Here is another idea- DELETE, UNFOLLOW, UN- FRIEND! If you see someone who consistently posts something that gets under your skin or truly using it for their own boost of self esteem or vanity issues, GET RID OF IT...SIMPLIFY! I love to look up great authors, speakers, bloggers I admire because they post many encouraging quotes or bible verses that after I look through my news-feed, I actually feel inspired or encouraged! 

I am human and I have fallen under these same traps before and now I gauge how I use it and make sure my heart and perspective are in the right place. I might post a pic of my new sweet jogging buddy, Lucy, that I just got for my birthday, but to put more material things like my new purse or clothes, I feel only encites envy, so I don't. Not saying that I have name brand stuff or nothing but the best, but I am careful how I use it, because I want to model what I am sharing with you. It has been a process for me. 

 Lucy, my new fur-baby
I have stopped "checking in" unless I am checked in by a friend unknowingly, because people don't need to know where I am at all times of the day or who I am with or what I am eating. 

Be wise! Use the sound judgement God gave you!!!! Live your life to it's fullest! Don't live vicariously through social media. Be very careful that you do not let it become an idol. Here is another great quote I want to share...

"...Pinterest is amazing. But we need to use it for what it was intended for- visual bookmarking- and nothing more. Pinterest, and the internet in general, cannot be your yardstick for who you are as a woman, what you love, how you should cook, or what you should prioritize. It does not define you as a mother, as a giver as a person."
-The Fringe Hours by Jessica N. Turner

Do not let yourself fall into the social media trap! Pray about it, change your perspective about it, what Satan means for harm, use it for God, for His Kingdom!!!

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, 
but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. 
Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, 
pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2

The lyrics to Mercy Me's song, Greater, are powerful to memorize and recite when those voices of negativity or inferiority plague you...

Everyday I wrestle with the voices
That keep telling me I'm not right
But that's alright

Cause I hear a voice and he calls me redeemed
When others say I'll never be enough
And greater is the One living inside of me
Than he who is living in the world...

There'll be days I lose the battle
Grace says that it doesn't matter
Cause the cross already won the war

3 comments:

  1. An excellent post and some very good thoughts! I struggle most with the time management issue- supposed to be writing, not trolling FB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle!
    I love this post! Such truth here! Thank you for sharing! I too LOVE the song Greater by Mercy Me! It has become my theme song lately! :)

    ReplyDelete