Monday, September 17, 2012

Listening


"Don’t fool yourself into thinking that you are a listener when you are anything but, letting the Word go in one ear and out the other. Act on what you hear! Those who hear and don’t act are like those who glance in the mirror, walk away, and two minutes later have no idea who they are, what they look like.
 But whoever catches a glimpse of the revealed counsel of God—the free life!—even out of the corner of his eye, and sticks with it, is no distracted scatterbrain but a man or woman of action. That person will find delight and affirmation in the action". James 1:22-25 (MSG)

This scripture has been on my heart for about a week now. There have been so many times that I have read God's word, a good book or heard a great sermon and forgotten the next day or the next week what was said. How many times have I gone to church and listened to the pastor preach and instead was thinking about my plans that afternoon or in the upcoming week? A lot!

I am working on not only hearing God speak to me through His word lately, but meditating on it and letting it sink down into my heart and mind. I believe that anytime the Bible is about to be opened on a Sunday morning at church or in the quiet of my office in the early mornings, I need to prepare. I need to prepare myself to receive the word He has for me and allow it to minister to me in that moment. 

God speaks through many different outlets. It could be a friend or family member or it could be through a devotional or a song. Most of the time, I find that God speaks to me through the Bible. It comes to life within me and ignites me with the fuel I need to get through that day, that situation or whatever will come my way. At times I stop and talk to Him about a particular verse I am reading and might have a question and almost immediately do I read the answer in the next couple of verses or feel the Holy Spirit whisper to me about that particular passage. The Bible is the living word! In Hebrews 4:12 explains, "For the word of God is sharper than any double edged-sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." 

I find that if I read something or God shows me something that I really want to sink in, I "find delight and affirmation" in putting God's word to action. I will write about it in my journal, I'll put it on an index card and tape it to my mirror or next to my kitchen sink, I'll remember a song that might apply or I might even blog about it. :)

These different things work for me. These help me get it in my brain so that I can then act on it, when a situation arises. Find out what works for you. What makes God's word come to life for you? What inspires you to not just hear His word for you, but act on it?  I've once heard there is a difference between hearing and listening. Anyone can hear something, but listening takes not only your ears captive but your mind. Let's all do better at listening. Listening to our children, our spouses, our friends, our bosses and our Lord. 

Please enjoy this incredible song below. 

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful message! God is always trying to get our attention if we will only listen to His wonderful voice! Oh, how He loves us! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive found that taping a scripture to my bathroom mirror helps me. I try to memorize it to. :D

    ReplyDelete