Monday, October 1, 2012

Commitment





" For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him". 2 Chronicles 16:9

When I came upon that scripture in the old testament I thought, "Wow! I want to be found faithful and committed to the Lord when he is looking upon the earth!" I am sure that many of you would like to be assured that you are faithful and committed as well. But where do our commitments lie?

With our families? Sure we spend a lot of time investing into our children and raising them to become productive, caring and responsible human beings that will one day be self sufficient. With our marriages? Well about 50% of us do there, so the statistics say. Perhaps we could increase the attention this area of our lives so desperately needs. With our jobs? Of course! If we don't work hard we can't play hard right?

How about with our quiet time with God? Hmm...I just can't seem to get out of bed early enough. How about with our bible reading? Well, it has been a while.... How about going to church and serving in ministry with our God- given gifts? Well, I am taking a break right now, got too much on my plate. How about with our tithes? If you only knew my finances, you would understand....

We are only as close to God as we want to be. Funny how our priorities can seem a bit skewed in this respect. Don't you think that if we made church a priority in our lives, opened up God's word and listened to what He wants us to hear or began to tithe on a consistent basis, we might just find that every other area in our lives might benefit from this also?

I believe that we all have a seed of faith inside. It might have been planted inside by a Sunday school teacher when we were kids. It might have been planted by our parents or a friend of the family. It might have even been planted there by a preacher you heard on tv, but what we decide to do with it determines how much it grows. We can decide to keep it in a box hidden deep within our heart and when times are hard or we've tried everything else, then we kneel down and pray, asking for God's help. But what if we took out that faith and began to exercise it a little more. What if it grew some muscle? What if we said, "God I don't know how I will get through this season in my life but I trust in you and your promise and ask that you strengthen me by the power of your Holy Spirit to stay faithful to you" ?

Whenever God roams the earth looking for those whose hearts are fully committed to him, don't let there be a question in your mind. Begin to take the time, read the pages and re-work Him into your busy schedule. You would never want God to be too busy for you. But that is what is so awesome about his grace which is "undeserved favor". We don't deserve the boundless mercy and grace, the overflowing joy and peace, but he gives anyways. All we have to do is ask. Begin by asking God to help your faith grow a little more, and make a new commitment to yourself- to strive being more committed to Him.

"Seek first His kingdom and righteousness and all these things will be added to you as well." Matthew 6:33

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I'm studying prayer and came across a scripture about commitment that made me stop and think. I Kings 8:61 "But your hearts must be fully committed to the Lord our God, to live by his decrees and obey his commands..." I read this and asked myself, am I really fully committed to God...really fully committed? I wonder what He could do with my life if I would give Him 100%. I wonder how many times He has wanted to do something great and I chose not to listen or follow His direction because it didn't fit the plan I already had made. Humm, I think He is trying to tell me something about commitment and I'm gonna listen. :D

    ReplyDelete