Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Never Say Never

 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Ephesians 2:10 

I have decided...NEVER SAY NEVER! 

I always said I would never drive a minivan. After being voted "most likely to drive a minivan" in high school, I determined to rebel against people's expectations of me and become an SUV mom. But when it came time, the standard leather seats, automatic doors and dvd system with bucket seats were calling out to me in the form of a Chrysler Town and Country and the fact that it was much more affordable, made it even more appealing! So I drove off the lot and haven't looked back, loving my minivan and the spacious room it has afforded me and my family and friends. 

I always said I would never home school my children. Yet I found myself purchasing the curriculum online yesterday in preparation of homeschooling my two boys into their 3rd grade and 6th grade year due to circumstances beyond my control. 

I always said after our first cross-country move from Texas to North Carolina, I would never move across the country again! It was too hard, too expensive and emotionally way too messy. Filtering through the newness of our new town, fixing up a home, weeding through the homesickness and loneliness was at times more than I could bear. But here I am, getting ready to list my home here in the piney woods of North Carolina and searching for new homes in the state of Kentucky, venturing out once more to move across the country. 

So I have resolved, never to say never. It's funny how God can take these "Nevers" and turn them into revelations. It's funny how God can take these "Nevers" and turn them into something we never knew we needed. 

So I have resolved that if there is ever anything certain in this life, it's that things are going to change. Life evolves, people grow, circumstances shift from mountain tops to valleys. But here is one unchanging truth that truly will NEVER change...God is steadfast, he is unmovable and He is in control. 

 
When entering into uncharted and unfamiliar territory in my life, I have learned it best to face it with wide open arms. Embracing the seasons of change, knowing that with every situation, new friendship, or opportunity comes with it growth that sprouts good things in my life. How do I know that? I cling tightly to Ephesians 2:10 as written above. 

God is the center of my life, my marriage and my home. He hasn't veered me wrong before and he isn't going to start now. God has good things in store for me, my husband, my children, even in the uncomfortable, the new, the rocky, and the situations we say we would never find ourselves in. 

I have used my minivan as a place of ministry. Both in Texas and North Carolina, I have taken my children and their friends and cousins to school and even in the simpleness of a child's prayer before they get out of the car, they jump out knowing that the God of the universe heard their voice that morning. I have had deep and insightful conversations with my 11 year old when he ponders why things are the way they are. I have heard my 8 year old crack the funniest jokes fills the minivan with laughter. 

I look forward to this year of homeschooling my children, even though at times I find myself scared to death at the thought of it. Why? Because I have covered this decision in prayer and know that throughout another transition in our family's life this year, being able to be at home with them and pouring into them, will help them ensure a solid footing of family and faith, and help them adjust emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.

Believe it or not, I am excited about this move. I can hardly believe it myself. Why? Because I know that God is going to lead and guide our steps just as He has before.  I have hope and confidence in His guiding hand because I have seen the work it produces in my life- strength, endurance, perseverance, courage, determination. I also rest in the fact that good things are prepared in advance for us in Kentucky, just as they were planned for me here. 

Although it has been a whirlwind 9 months, I have met sweet friends that will forever leave an imprint on my heart. I have launched an online bible study for my book Arm Yourself and been able to share my story and passion with people in this coastal community. My husband has been able to grow professionally and have his talents and giftings in the world of  computers be met with favor and blessing with promotions that stem from a wife's heart of earnest prayer over her husband the last 13 1/2 years. In world that has been wrought with turmoil and recession, God has always protected my husband's job and even been given positions of promotion throughout companies that have been littered with layoffs and many unknowns. God has great plans for Him in Kentucky too.

My children are learning that home is where we all are. It doesn't have to be the place of your birth, it just has to be where love welcomes you with open arms. Besides our homes here on this Earth are temporary, our eternal home is in Heaven. Moving releases the tight hold we have on material things and helps keep our focus on eternal things. The attitudes, the heart and the incredible strength my children have displayed is a blessing to behold.  

You may not be moving to Kentucky, but you may be preparing to move into the unfamiliar and uncharted too and it scares you to death. You may be finding yourself doing exactly what you said you would never do. If that is you today, let go. Let Him lead. You don't have to be scared. He has good things planned for you, things He already has completely laid out, He's just asking you to take that next step of obedience. Will you?

Stop saying never and start saying yes!

2 comments:

  1. Love this new blog! It speaks to anyone! Keep writing and I know God has good things in store for you and your family!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been eight months since my cross-country move back to California, and I'm only just now beginning to unpack art supplies and find my creative groove again. long distance movers cheap

    ReplyDelete