Tuesday, August 18, 2015

A Routine Life

Routines...gotta love them. Routines are what are lives revolve around, especially at this time of the year when everyone is going back to school. Wake up, get dressed, get kids ready for school, make lunches, drop them off, exercise, errands, chores, pick up kids, homework , make dinner, greet husband, family time and bed time. This might be what some of your lives look like or it could have some different aspects to it, but you have your routine. 

Routines are predictable. You know when to set your alarm in the morning to fit everything in. You know just how much time you have in case you spill orange juice on your shirt and need time to clean up the sticky floor and change your shirt. 

Routines are reliable. Some might even say they bring a level of comfort. You know what to expect and when to expect it. They help to delegate different jobs to different family members so that the household runs like a well oiled machine. 

Routines are easy. After you and everyone else in your home get in the groove of one, you can probably do it in your sleep. Last year, it actually got to the point where I didn't have to tell my 10 year old over and over to brush his teeth and put his shoes on. I would walk into the kitchen to get breakfast ready and see him sitting there completely ready and waiting...on me! He knew what to do and what was expected of him.

Routines are great and especially when you get into the routine of scheduling regular quiet time with God and making him a priority every day. But sometimes routines can offer complacency. Sometimes they allow people to get stuck in their ways and become stubborn to change. For some, any upset in the routine can really set them off and they throw their peace out the window. Perhaps a change is needed in their life but they are unwilling to embrace it for fear of stepping out of their comfort zone. 

We need to not be so inflexible that we won't ever allow God to interrupt our routines and what we are familiar with. Sometimes a disruption in our routines is what is needed to get our attention on something else, something God is trying to show us. 


Whoever said living for God was boring, isn't living for God. I have found God interrupting my plans and changing up my routine a lot more than I ever thought I would. In fact, there is something BIG God is dealing with me about and it will cause an enormous change in my family's life. 

I am not quite ready to share what it is, but in God's timing, He will allow me to reveal it at the right time. It's not bad, but it does require me to trust. Trust that God knows what He is doing. Trust that He will carry me and my family through this transition. Faith in Him and each other that this will strengthen our family and birth growth in each one of our lives. 

I know our family will come out of this stronger as we lean on Him. Don't ever ask God to use you and then be surprised when He wants to. When you have prayed the prayer, "Lord, here I am, send me", don't be too surprised when He does. 

Look for those divine appointments in your life God has scheduled. Listen for the leading of the Holy Spirit when He is speaking. Watch for God to move in your life. Trust that wherever your day may lead you, it was no surprise to Him and He will meet your need in that moment.

Surrender your life and your routine to Him today. You won't ever be sorry that you did. 

Here I am
Down on my knees again
Surrendering all


Like a rushing wind
Jesus breathe within
Lord have Your way
Lord have Your way in me


I Surrender- Hillsong
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment