Saturday, July 28, 2012

Keep the Peace

Last night was a rough night. My just-turned four year old has not quite outgrown his toddler tantrums yet. He threw the biggest fit at bedtime that involved an hour long struggle between me and him. He was determined to go watch tv in the living room and I was determined for him to go to sleep in his own bed. He screamed and fought and even threw out those lovely one liners at me that all moms live to hear, "Your mean", "You're not my mommy" and "I don't like you". Oh, come on, don't tell me that you haven't had one of those moments. I know my kid is not the only one that has thrown a Texas-sized fit like that before.

In the past I would match my voice to his, and nearly get myself so worked up I would throw a fit right there beside him, but praise God, I didn't. I held him tight and kept repeating in a low voice, "I love you, calm down, let's talk about this. I know how you are feeling. It's not fair when you have to go to bed and miss out on mommy and daddy fun, but you are tired and you need sleep." Did it work? No, but I kept telling him I love him, and refused to give in to his tantrums knowing that giving in to his bad behavior would only worsen problems he might grow up with later. Even through the fit, I stopped at one point and just prayed asking God to give him a peace and break the spirit of disobedience. (Read Brooke McGothlin's book, Warrior Prayers, excellent resource for moms of boys.)

He then calmed down due to exhaustion and fell asleep holding my hand. When I snuck out of the room, my blood pressure felt sky high and my nerves felt frazzled and frayed. I asked God that being the mom of a strong-willed child, He is going to need to give me supernatural help to do what I need to do to raise him in the best way to nurture his personality towards his calling and ministry in the future. Yes, even now I pray for my children to not just grow to love the Lord, but live passionately for Him. I ask God to call them into ministry at a young age and use their gifts and talents for Him. It's never too early to start praying for your children's future, and last night reminded me of that. I want to try to tame the tantrums now while they are more controllable, then when he is a teenager and completely out of control. I asked God to help me keep my joy and peace, most especially when my children lose theirs. I hope to be an example of stability, strength and peace.

Click on the link below to hear Nichole Nordeman's beautiful song, I Am. It is a great representation of the different stages we as moms go through as a child till now.

No comments:

Post a Comment